Dishonest Lexus Service?

I took my 03 RX300 in for its 25,000 mile service at dealer on the South Shore of Long Island NY just East of the Queens, NYC/ Nassau County Border. The dealer told me that my rear brakes were at 20% and needed replacing at a cost of $190.00. They also said that the cooling system needed to be flushed, and the fuel system needed to by cleaned. I question the last thing since I use Mobil gasoline exclusively and use Techron Fuel Injector cleaner every 6 months. I declined all the service.

My steering wheel started making "screeching" sounds when cold so I took my RX to a dealer on the "North Shore" of Long Island just North of Westbury. I told them to replace the rear brakes. They said that the cost would be $330.00, considerably higher than the other dealer. However, I told them to do it anyway. In the early afternoon I received a call from the service advisor informing me that the rear brakes were at 45% and definitely didn't need replacing!

Although this dealer is further from my residence and office, I admire their honesty. They are an "Elite" of Lexus award winner and I see why. I'm really surprised at the other dealer, however who apparently was recommending repairs that weren't necessary.

Reply to
J Golden

Estimating remaining pad wear in the range of 20% to 45% is not an exact science. The pads don't wear evenly, it varies from wheel to wheel, etc. etc. etc. Basically, they shine a flashlight into the wheel well and make an estimate. One is simply being more conservative than the other. Not a huge deal. Even the 45% may be conservative - you may have 60%.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

fuel system service? what? i work at a lexus dealer here upstate, haven't heard of a 'fuel system service'.

as far as the brakes are concerned, estimating is not an exact science, just to give the customer a idea of where their brakes are. we usually raise the red flag if the brakes are at 5-10% around

1-2mm visible pad remaining, or if there is excessive rust, grooves, or uneven pad wear.
Reply to
MudPuppy76

It figures! Lexus has gotten rotten. Oh well. Maybe a new car brand will come along to replace it. Sure hope so - it used to be so nice to have honest Lexus dealers. I guess I can understand missing the brakes, but fuel system cleaning???? That is theft in my book. And having to flush the cooling system at 25,000 miles? I will not be buying a Lexus just on this recommendation alone. Of course the Mercedes stealerships are so bad now that I won't buy another one of those.

Reply to
MCBRUE

Did you mention that you use Techron-laced fuel? Could be that they were assuming you did not and figured you were due for a deposit cleaning. Would not be a bad idea to do such a thing.

As for the brakes, without looking at them you can't be sure. They may be wearing unevenly...if they are worn at 25,000 miles something is wrong. The cooling system flush on a 1 year old car is a bit over the top, I think. On a 2 year old, it would be something a super-careful person would do.

The first place might be less than honest, but what you write is still within judgement call space. If you think they tried to shaft you, call Lexus and complain. If they get enough complaints, they will yank their franchise. (A local Dodge/Chrysler dealership that had lots of complaints had their franchise pulled for that reason.) A Lexus franchise is still a very valuable thing and I doubt that anyone who has one would risk losing it for this kind of nonsense.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

This is Turtle.

Buying Cars or Car repair and a host of other places are the same when knowing where to shop. You have a clothing store you use, a Appliance sales store you like, Grocery Store you like, a house hold furniture store you like and so you should have a Lexus dealership you like or you think will give you what you want at a reasoniable price. A Lamp for the living room or a car dealership to deal with is the same. Do a little research like your doing to find YOUR dealership you like.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

And nobody cares.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It's plain to see where Elmo got the 'nasty' part of his name from!

Keep up the good work TURTLE and treat Elmo's comments with the contempt they deserve.

Oldun

Reply to
Oldun

This is Turtle.

Excuse me Elmo , but I think you have mistaken me for someone who cares what you think. Sorry Elmo but I just don't care what you think , Sorry for the poor ability to not care about what you think.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Welcome to the REAL world of automotive service. Having been in and around the automotive service industry for 20 years, (Until I did a "Mid life career change") I can tell you that your experience is not uncommon. You just happened to do the one thing that a LOT of service writers / managers dread; you caught them. Stay with the honest one, avoid the crook. Good luck.

Reply to
Me

Sounds just like our 01 RX 300. Rear brakes were hardly worn through the

22,500 mile service and had to be replaced at 30k because they were worn out. Cost $350.00. The fronts were still OK it seemed. I am still on my original brakes at 52k miles on my Honda Prelude with plenty of wear left. Our 30k service ran close to $1,000.00, which included removing the valve covers to check for gelling-- even though the vehicle was serviced as recommended every 5k at the dealer. If you own a Lexus, better figure on paying through the nose for repairs and service.
Reply to
twaugh5