Lexus service at Toyota dealer

Does anyone have experience getting a Lexus serviced by a Toyota dealer? I've got a 1993 GS300 that needs major service (new timing belt, plugs, etc.). I'm 2 hours from the nearest Lexus dealer, but there's a local Toyota dealer who says they can do the service (especially since those first GS300 used Supra engines, he says). Anybody know any reason why this would be a bad idea?

As a second question, although the maintenance schedule indicates that I should have the valve clearances adjusted, I've been told that that's an expensive job and that there's no need to do it if there are no evident symptoms. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance for any information.

--

Reply to
August West

It is commonly done. All GS300s to date use the same basic engine as the Supra, but there are detail differences. But for routine non-warranty servicing, the Toyota dealer should be fine. I'd confirm that they have the Lexus service manuals (probably on CD).

This is listed in the service checklist as an "audible check". IOW, unless the valves are making excessive noise, you don't do it. I would expect there would be a huge amount of judgment here. Unless they sounded abnormal, I'd probably skip it. If the dealer is saying that they have to make an adjustment, this would be a warning flag that they don't have the Lexus service instructions and/or they like padding their bill.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I do, with my ES300. which is pretty much a Camry V6. Toyota dealer does OK with common parts, but when it comes to Lexus specific stuff like the rear disk brakes and CD changer, I'd do just as well taking it to a Ford dealer.

This is one of the largest Toyota dealers on the East coast. A close friend took his older LS400 there for a smoking engine problem. Their fix was a new engine for about 7 grand. My friend got a second opinion from an out of town Lexus dealer who replaced a defective power stearing part for a tenth of the price.

The same dealer does great work on my Toyota pickup and my wife's 4 cyl Camry. However, they are pretty clueless about anything purely Lexus.... but then they are a TOYOTA dealer.

Reply to
TANKIE

FWIW - Back in 1972, yes 72, I purchased my first Toyota, a1973 model Celica. Great car and I loved it. The maintenance schedule also called for valve clearance adjustments. I followed the schedule religiously until '75. At that time I was working at a job that kept me away from home weeks on end. I procrastinated when the next adjustment was due. Put it off until I got back home was my idea. It was running fine, making no tapping sounds so why rush. Unfortunately, I waited a little too long. One day on a 2 lane back road I floored the peddle to pass a car and I dropped a valve. To make the rest of the story short, I destroyed the engine.

Spend the money...

Reply to
I am

Reply to
New Owner

70's toyotas were crappy cars. They were what the Kias are today. Everyone I knew hated them. It was not until the 80s that Toyotas got a lot better than the American cars...
Reply to
Dan J. S.