60000 Mile service

My wife's 2001 9.5 just turned 60000 miles. Is the 60000 mile service really needed? How much does this service cost? (Seattle, WA. area)

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Michael

You might as well ask if *any* service is needed in that case. You could leave it until something expensive fails of course !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"Michael" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Well, only with full service history, you'll get the Saab 8 year engine warrenty. You do the math...

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

This is my approach to service intervals: partner with the dealer - do all the work yourself that you can and leave what you can't or don't want to do for the SAAB dealer. Then your dealer service history shows that you at least visited and had the most important work done on time. For example, for my 2000 9-3 convertible's 40,000-mile service I paid them to have the coolant flushed. 60,000-mile service I had the dealer change the alternator drive belt and pulleys because its a pain and do an overall safety check. I also bought some parts to do the fuel filter and oil change there. Bought the spark plugs at PEPBOYS for half the dealer price (ouch!) as well and the savings paid for the other SAAB parts. I already had a K&N air filter. Figure that I saved about $400USD in labor charges and still got to feel the pride of maintaining my black beauty with credible evidence for warranty coverage.

Reply to
Mark Beckett

If your wifes's car is a V6 then I would say you REALLY need the service. The V6 requires a new timing belt, the first belt SAAB will replace at N/C. They will try to sell you the total package, but it is NOT mandatory. If the belt is replaced you should have the tensioner and pully replaced at the same time. The tensioner and pully will cost about 300.00 + 1 hr labor. If the belt, tensioner or pully fail, you will be looking at a 3000.00-4000.00 engine repair cost. I had the timing belt, timing tensioner, timing pully and the serpintine belt/pully all replaced. SAAB footed the belt and belt labor I paid for the rest. About $600.00

Hope this helps.

Walt

Reply to
Walp

Do you get a stamp in your service log that way ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Steve besides an oil change and fuel filter the 60k is nothing more than a ripoff. They replace things that do not need to be replaced. If its running good leave it alone thats why you have a check engine light. Besides saab has all kinds of backup systems it will let you know when something is acting up. I have a 1992 saab with 135k only had plug once still has all original dis,rotor,and plug wires. Watch your wallet! good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

Is there no warranty to protect? 2001 sounds like it has expired due to time but pay attention to the maintenance scheduled. It is not just to make money for the dealer.

In this country (USA) one can have the service performed by any licensed mechanic but you must keep the records.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

It all depends if you have money and you're time is valuable and just want the car to be ready. A serviced car is a nice feeling (and often smell...).

But you can do most of it yourself. A lot of the dealer service is checking and do nothing unless required. However, cooling and hydraulic fluids should also be changed at certain intervals, probably max 3 years.

Reply to
Johannes

No dealer stamps in the log but I believe that it is more important to know that the SAAB dealer network keeps a computer record of the visit and work performed for every car serviced (in the US at least). This is the final authority for warranty work not the owner's manual stamps. Stamps in the owner's manual might impress a buyer for resale but I plan on keeping my car for a good long time. Actually doing the work at the service interval suggested is the best warranty whether you get a stamp or not. I don't think the car cares about stamps and a well-maintained ride is obvious.

Reply to
Mark Beckett

"Mark Beckett" skrev i en meddelelse news:9dioe.1365$ snipped-for-privacy@fe11.lga...

Well, remind me, NOT to buy your used car, as I'll have problems with the warrenty, as I cannot document, that it's has been serviced!

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Well, yes and no. At 60k miles you also replace: Spark Plugs Air Filter Drive belt Cabin Air Filter

Beyond that, there are a ton of "Check" and "Inspect" items that are performed. All of these can be done by anyone that is fairly handy.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

"malt_hound" wrote: > PAPAGENE4JACK wrote: > > Steve besides an oil change and fuel filter the 60k is > nothing more than a > > ripoff. They replace things that do not need to be > replaced. If its > > running good leave it alone thats why you have a check > engine light. > > Besides saab has all kinds of backup systems it will let you > know when > > something is acting up. I have a 1992 saab with 135k only > had plug once > > still has all original dis,rotor,and plug wires. Watch your > wallet! > > good luck papa > > > > Well, yes and no. At 60k miles you also replace: > Spark Plugs > Air Filter > Drive belt > Cabin Air Filter > > Beyond that, there are a ton of "Check" and "Inspect" items > that are > performed. All of these can be done by anyone that is fairly > handy. > > -Fred W

I live in S. Calif. Took my 2000 9-5 wagon in for its 60,000 service this morning. Picked it up this afternoon. Cost! $1269.62. Needed new front & back brake pads, oil leak, a couple of screws missing from air filter. They told me that I needed a new battery (my one failed the test), but they wanted to charge me $170 parts & labor for it. I will probably go to Wal-Mart or Sears. Lovely car - but boy, it is costing me!

Reply to
ellingeqt

Just brake pads, not rotors?

Reply to
Dan

The car is not costing you. Your decision to have it serviced at that dealership is costing you. I would look for a different service outlet, or learn to do it yourself, if the money spent is a problem.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound