ES 330 Transmission Hesitation & Lurch

I have a 2005 ES 330 with a mild case of the Lurch. My dealer's rep told me that the software update for this problem was revise sometime during the past year, and it is improved over the prior update. Has anyone had this revised update installed? If so, how did it do? Last September, I was told that the update, once installed, couldn't be undone and sometimes made the problem worse than before. So I passed. I'm trying to determine if the latest update really works. Al

Reply to
Al

My wife's 2004 was very bad. I had even considered selling the car. Two months after the update was released I had another "near hit" and called Lexus AGAIN. They told me about the update. The dealer installed it (June 2005) and the car is fine. I have a heavy foot (I drive a Jeep V8) and I am very satisfied.

BTW its not a transmission problem. The original programming withheld fuel at first to keep the emissions clean, its the engine management program that is changed.

Considering that the ES is a hazard with the initial software I took the risk that it might be worse and have no regrets.

What is sad is that neither Lexus nor my dealer kept a list of unsatisfied customers so it appears no one got a call about the new programming. If you complained then Lexus talked to you. Neither the dealer or Lexus apologized in any way. In fact during the same service I asked to have the trunk opening speed reprogrammed and the dealer clipped me for $42. Funny since its the same scan tool as the programming fix is used so the net cost is about 2 minutes.

During the 16 months we had the problem I spent time comparing my 97 Jeep to my 04 ES, interesting that other than water sensitive wipers the Jeep has more features, all better executed. Such as coded key fobs for each owner, etc.

Definitely a very slow pursuit of perfection!

Al wrote:

Reply to
Howard

I've had all the "fixes" applied to my 02 es300 and I still experience the hesitation and jerkiness...

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

When did you get the last "fix" and did any of them make it any better or any worse? Al

Reply to
mhr

I think the last one was last fall. From a high level, the net difference from initial delivery of the vehicle to today is that the lag was shifted from the 40-50mph range down to the 5-25mph range. Also, the ECU doesn't allow me to accelerate through a corner about 90% of the time. For instance, you arrive at an intersection, slow down to take the corner, then want to take off through the turn, forget it. I've had to learn that if there is any traffic within a reasonable distance, just sit and wait for it to clear before launching. It's very frustrating. And worse for me, because I had always driven a manual tranny in my primary vehicle before buying this ES. My wife's 97 4runner with a v6 doesn't have this problem because it doesn't have all the computer control garbage. It was designed to let the driver make the decision when they want to go. The true irony here is that Lexus designed all this computer-based crap to be more fuel-efficient. My fuel economy actually ends up lower because when it lags, I'll end up flooring it to make up for the delay, just to stay with the flow of traffic. By the time the computer sends gas to the engine, it will rev up to redline. So I normally do about 22mpg with mostly highway driving because of the games the ECU plays with me. If I drive like a grandma then I can do about 25mpg, which I guess is how Lexus tests on their test track. I'd love to invite a Lexus engineer ride with me to work during rush hour for a full week. They would say "oh s*1t, what were we thinking, our ECU is crap in the real world!"

"mhr" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

Ditto. My ES300 is a steaming hunk of crap with this acceleration problem and I will never buy another Lexus. I discuss this problem with anyone I know who is considering a Lexus, not so much for the possibility that their model will have the same problem, but that Lexus treats its customers this way. They bury their head in the sand and pretend it's not a problem. There must be underemployed lawyers out there to file a class action lawsuit. Where are the lawyers when you need them??

I'm surprised no one has sued because of death or injury caused by this problem. It would be very difficult to prove, however. For any buyers of

2005 and beyond that have this problem, if any, I have little sympathy because this issue has been well publicized in newgroups and other forums.

Reply to
Mack