Air Bag Problem

On my Rover 200 (1998 model) The warning light for the air bag operates normally at start up, ie ,on for a few seconds and it then extinguishes itself. However upon driving it occasionally comes on and stays on until I stop and turn off the engine. I know from a safety point this should be checked, but before I rush to a Rover Dealer, is this a minor problem or does it mean a replacement air bag ? (Is so what are we talking about in £,s) Peter.

Reply to
Peter Coddington

I'm no expect, but when the airbag warning light is on then the airbag is disarmed and will not deploy.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

You may be able to find the diagnostic procedure somewhere online, but if not, take it to the dealer and get them to read the fault codes. This should tell you what needs doing, although they sometimes come up with really useful fault codes like "unknown fault - replace SRS unit".

As it is at the moment, it will probably (not should) pass an MOT, because it functions correctly when starting the car. You would be unlucky for it to happen during the test. The other poster is correct that these systems fail "safe" i.e. the airbags are disabled. I'm never quite sure how much I trust this though.

HTH, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Thanks for replies. It looks like a trip to a Rover Dealer. Peter.

Reply to
Peter Coddington

Most likely reason is the connecter to the airbag or the seatbelt tensioners. You're best bet is to search the web & pull the fault codes before you go near the dealers.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Doesn't matter what it does when he starts the car, the airbag is not an MOT testable item.

HTH

Reply to
Lordy

I thought that it needs to function if fitted, like high-level rear brake lights?

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

No, it needs to work if it's a testable item...

An airbag is not a testable item (altho debate is currently taking place to make it so at some point which will probably not be that far away).

Brake lights are a testable item.

It's amazing how many people think you can fail on the condition of the spare wheel as well, I still know people who take it out at MOT time and say "if it's not in the car they can't check it", altho seeing as - again - it's not a testable item they're just wasting their time :)

Reply to
Lordy

Don't forget - the SRS unit is the electrical sensor unit, NOT the airbag.

Airbag systems are not homologated - their presence in the vehicle is not a legal requirement nor a legally recognised thing - they are not part of the MOT test. (Unlike ABS or seatbelts/door mirrors, for example)

Adam H

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam