Fault code readers / setters?

Any recommendations for a sub £50 fault code reader and re-setter?

Land Rover specific, though would be good if it is universal (arent they all now?) My Freelander is doing 100 miles to the fault now, so it would be nice to read the codes!

Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

My local LR dealer (independent) cleared the faults twice, charged me £40 for the privilege, then the lights came on again 10 minutes later.

So, rather than throwing money at them for reading the faults (which they didnt do, their computer was playing up, and all they could do was reset it), I went and bought a Bearmach Hawkeye. Lovely little thing. Reads first time, and clears the fault immediately, until the next time the lights come on.

Finally got the fault read consistently - 'shuttle valve open circuit'. Googling shows this is an elctrical fault in a pair of switches which are embedded in the ABS unit. Luckily, there is a good site that shows exactly how to do this (albeit on a Discovery):

Took mine apart this afternoon, tested the switches, both are dead - open circuit, so I've just ordered a pair of switches, hopefully this will cure it once and for all.

As for the Hawkeye, £270, well worth it, I do intend keeping the Freelander for a few more years, so it'll be useful, and, can be upgraded to other models, so it wont be useless when the Freelander is sold.

Reply to
A.Lee