code readers

I have a 1998 SL2 and was wondering if a OBDII code reader would work? If not what code reader should I get. Thanks in advance! ~Brian

Reply to
Brian

Your car has OBDII, I don't know about reader compatibilities. Here's a site that might help:

Jonnie Santos

Any OBD II code reader compatible with GM vehicles should work.

There are 3 different communications protocols used on OBD II vehicles: J1850 VPW, which GM uses, J1850 PWM, which Ford uses, and ISO 9141, which most other manufacturers use. So you need a scan tool that supports J1850 VPW.

Actually, there's another protocol, CAN, which is starting to be used now (such as on the ION and VUE) and which is supposed to become an industry-wide standard, and which is different from the above three.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I bought mine at WallMart for $20., it came with a code handbook. Saved me money twice already.

Innova Equus GM Code Reader part # 3123

mjh404

The 3123 is a GM OBD-1 reader for 1995 and earlier cars. For 1996 and newer you need an OBD-2 (OBDii) reader and they cost more.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Perhaps a place like Harbor Freight or JC Whitney carry those then.

Reply to
mjh404

Reply to
Buster