Fiat Brava starting problem

Having noted a number of threads on starting problems in this NG I thought I would post mine:

A 1996 Fiat Brava 1.6 ELX, starts fine every time when cold, battery's in good condition, i.e. a year old, topped-up, and charging fine.

BUT after a reasonable run, i.e. when the engine's fully warmed up, if I turn off the ignition and then try to start again it's just as if the battery is flat: all the indications switch on, the radio works, the headlights work, but when I turn the key the starter motor turns very slowly and the voltage drops. Sometimes, the engine will fire, other times I have to wait 30 minutes or so and then it starts normally again.

Very embarrassing at the petrol station!

I suspect either dirty/corroded high current connections on the solenoid/motor but haven't had an opportunity to look.

Would welcome any suggestions, or reports of similar phenomena

TIA Jerry

Reply to
PSOE

I'd say that's a good start. Check the battery, battery terminals, and engine earth too.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Battery terminals are fine, are clean and the +ve which was marginally loose has been tightened. Made no difference. I will check the engine earth when I check the other high current connections.

Reply to
PSOE

when it is in its non starting condition, keep it turning over for a good few seconds, then get under the bonnet and feel all the big leads for a hot spot, my first guess would be the engine earth lead.

Reply to
MrCheerful