speedo cable citroen AX

Hi, need to sort my little sisters car. At the moment she can't tell how fast she's going as speedo not working. Not so good for a learner!

Question - if the speedo is not working then I presume the cable needs to be changed. However the mileometer is not clocking the miles. Is this due to the cable needing replacing or could it be a separate fault?

Any hints and tips from those with experience? Also any recommendations of good places on the web to purchase the required cable?

many thanks

Irwin

Reply to
Irwin

Irwin ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The cable drives the odometer as well as the speedo.

Reply to
Adrian

I did the exact same fix on my girlfriends car - it was actually a combination of two things. It had been wavering (the needle) for about 6 months and eventually died. My post-mortem found the cable had needed lubing, had started binding (needle wobbles) then sheared the little plastic cog unit that goes into the gearbox. IIRC the replacement cog parts were about £6 from citroen. I just dribbled a bit of light oil down the cable inner while it was disconnected, worked a charm for the next year or so until she scrapped it.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Nice one, cheers guys - have the cable on order. Do you think I need to remove the steering wheel to get the instrument cluster out? I know in the Haynes manual they say you have to remove steering wheel, however they advised this on my old beemer, and I managed to remove the cluster with taking the wheel off!

When we first got the car, the girlfriend couldn't understand why the magnetic L plate she bought wouldn't stick to the boot - which is made of fibreglass!!!! She still doesn't get it!

Reply to
Irwin

Irwin proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

IIRC it can be got to with the wheel left on, but dont hold me to it - I never had to replace the cable! Trying to remember back but cant, not sure if i had the dash out of that. I know my mate did on his GT, but he swapped the steering wheel too - its not too hard anyway.

:-) Excellent. Funniest one ive seen with an AX is someone slam the boot in anger when returning from shopping, smash the window and the boot just fell off (hadnt latched in properly). I cried with laughter in the car park.

Reply to
Coyoteboy