Trailing arm bushes on '94 Rover 214

Hi all, I'm sure there's some knowledgable Rover boffins around here who can help me. It looks like the rear trailing arm bushes on my 214 need replacing - Tyres are wearing faster on the outer edges, bushes showing some signs of perishing.

The Haynes manual says that the bushes can't just be replaced but that the whole trailing arm must be renewed as a complete unit. However, I've seen the bushes advertised on the web. What's the real deal here? Do I need to replace the whole arms (which I'm figuring is costly and takes a while) or am I able to just replace the bushes.

If able to just replace the bushes, has anyone got the procedure for doing this. Do you still need to remove the arms and press the old bushes with a vice, or is it possible to do it in situ?

Cheers, Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Smart

Daniel Smart let forth with a mighty belch and uttered :

Check.

The Haynes is wrong. No surprise there.

Just the bushes.

Talk to independant garages in your area. One will have molished a tool to do it, and for what it will cost, plus the aggro to do it yourself, pay them.

Reply to
Sean

I have changed bushes on this model in situ, it took an hour to make a suitable thing to knock the bushes through/in, then about half an hour per side to change them. Mind you , I have good facilities and a lift. You will probably need some welding gear to make the gadget to get the bushes in.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

As others have said, bushes are available, but it's a right pain fitting them. I've done three without removing the arm completely, and with nothing more sophisticated than a big hammer and a brass drift to remove and replace them, but last time (fortunately on a 216 with rear discs, so I didn't have to undo any brake pipes) I couldn't budge it until the arm was off the car and well supported. The problem normally is that you're belting away at something that's flapping around in mid-air. I've used various combinations of jacks, clamps, and blocks of wood to try to hold the arm while I hammer the bush. Franklin do an extractor tool, but it's well over 100 quid iirc.

There is no positive location for the new bush, either in terms of how far in to press / wallop it, or at what angle to fit it, so there's a danger of building in a pre-load twist or of not getting your wheel alignment correct.

Reply to
Autolycus

Take it to a garage and pay them. Its about 1hr a side.

Reply to
Conor