where's the water going?

I have a '76 Buick Regal that I gutted, installed a roll cage and made into a dirt track car to run enduro's. In this class of racing everything has to be bone stock, so no modifications have been made. The problem I'm having is the car will run about 50 laps (about 20 hard miles) and then it will shut down on me. I have no gauges in the car but when I check the radiator (much later of course) there is no water left. I changed the head gasket on one side (probably should have changed them both) because I was getting an erratic reading from one cylinder when checking the compression. Also, after things get heated up (it's happened twice now) the driver's side of the engine seems to get hotter than the passenger side, since I have melted the first two spark plug wires on this side of the block. The rubber that protects the connection to the plug gets real "spongee" and "gooey" however the other 6 plugs are OK. The radiator seems to be fine and there are no signs of leaks anywhere and also, while racing there are no signs of smoke or steam.

Any suggestions????

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian Spencer

check for head gasket failure using a block testing kit. if ok then pressure test the water system

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful