Where's The Water Going?

My '87 22R is guzzling water. It isn't leaking onto the ground and it doesn't appear to be going into the oil. It will take a quart of water about every 20-25 miles. I'm absolutely NOT a mechanic but my guess is that it has a blown head gasket. Anybody confirm this or should I be looking for some other problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

You are probably right on the money. Head Gasket.

G-man

Reply to
G-Man

I had the same problem. The head gasket was blown on the number 3 cylinder. Several hundred dollars later, I had my truck back. A few years later, it happened again, but this time it was the #1 and #2 cylinders. The machine shop heliarced water passages both times, they said it was a known area that on the 22R (and I suppose the RE as well) head. Apparently a poor design with very thin walls. Anyway, he said they built it up and smoothed it down and milled the head to make it smooth and flat.

My last trip to the garage cost me $944.00. If it happens again, I'll go here <

> get a new head and install it myself. The head's been repaired twice, the way I figure it, the third time's the charm... :>)) BTW, my vehicle is a 1988 pickup with the 22R...

Reply to
TOM

Today, my neighbor told me that if my problem is in fact a blown head gasket, that I would probably find that there is water in one or more of the cylinders so I pulled out the spark plugs and found no trace of water being there or having been there. What test(s) should I perform that would confirm a blown head gasket. Is there a link that I can go to that will explain exactly what I need to do to determine the problem and a step-by-step instruction set that will explain exactly how to R & R the head if that's what I need to do? If it's not a blown head gasket, what else could it be? As said earlier, "Any help will be appreciated." Thanks again. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Run engine(from cool) with radiator cap off. If when the engine gets hot and the therostat opens you will see bubbles comming up through the water. Make sure that the rad is full of water before you start and if engine already hot be VERY carfeful taking rad cap off.

The best test is a gas test that detects combustion gases in the cooling system. ya local garage should be able to do this with no issues.

Reply to
Scotty

Do you have an air compressor? davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Yes. I do have an air compressor. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

As Scotty posted for you there is a combution gasses detector that can be used. It is a liquid that turns color if hydro-carbons are present and last time I priced one appx 4 yrs ago it was appx $50 US. I've heard of electronic detectors but, have no experience with them and since they are new they are probably more expensive. I have tested systems with the liquid type, not found hydro-carbons in coolant but still had a bad head gasket that I found with a lead-down test. Some leaks are hard to find but with a warm engine and a leakdown test they will usually show up. If you are going to purchase a tool or pay someone to do the detection then I would recommend getting a leakdown tester. Cost is appx $50-$70 and several manufactures make them. Found on eBay and should find at your local parts store. Another benefit of a leakdown tester is it can be used to check rings, valves heads and etc. If you have no experience I found a couple sites with some basic info you might want to read. You might want to do some other research as well on this. If you do use leakdown always remember compressed air can cause the engine to rotate, sometimes violently so keep all extremities in a safe place.

HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I waited until the engine was cooled down (over night), then removed the radiator cap and filled it with water (I didn't top it up, just filled it about a half inch below the top). I then started it up and let it warm up. I could smell exhaust gas coming from the open radiator cap, along with bubbles in the coolant.

The first time it happened, I had let it sit for a few days before taking it to the garage. Having been a mechanic in another life, I knew that water likely leaked into at least one of the cylinders, so I removed all four spark plugs and cranked the engine over. Water squirted out of #3 cylinder like it was coming out of a garden hose! I then reinstalled the plugs and steamed my way to the garage... :>))

By the way, if you have the gasket done by a garage, take your own spark plugs with you and have them install them. The garage I took mine to sold me a set of Autolite spark plugs, the same ones I use, for $6.75 each! Good grief, I could have bought two sets for that kind of money and had change to spare!!!

Reply to
TOM