'02 Mercedes AMG E55 Car Phone

I am trying to find out more information regarding the car phone for my vehicle. It seems that everything is prewired and I have the cradle for the car phone in the center arm rest area.
From what I understand is that is costs about $2,000 to activate the phone via a Mercedes dealer. Does anybody know what it will take to activate the car without having to goto a dealer? Do I just find the corresponding car phone and turn on a service plan and all will work?
Lastly, if I can do my own phone, can you please let me know the model of cell phone I need to make it work? Does anybody know of a T-mobile (GSM) has a phone that will work?
Thanks for your input. jeremy
I take it you are in the USA!?
If so, we Europeans probably can't help as the systems seem different even with GSM phones. Over here we can fit into the cradle any of several models of Nokia telephone. Nothing to do with Merc/dealers.
DAS --

The phone that is used in the US is a Motorola V60i and must be purchased from MB. I have another V60i that looks identical and will charge but doesn't work correctly. They put a lock out chip to make you have to use one from them. I have a 2003 E500 with the phone and will be able to put in into a 2004 E55 when it arrives although I have been told that an updated phone will be standard.
Rob
Vetluver wrote:

Does anybody know why the Euro and USA versions are so different?
.