Kickdown on CLK55 AMG

Does anyone know much about the kickdown / adaptive gearbox on my w208 clk55 amg?

Basically the adaptive gearbox 'learns' a drivers driving style based on throttle opening speed etc etc, but if the car has been driven in town it will learn to short shift the gears. If i hook my foot under the throttle pedal and press and release the kickdown switch the gearbox alters its driving style without changing speed. ( It seems to alter the program the gearbox is using and starts to hold gears a lot longer)

My question is this:- if a person were to er arrange for the kickdown switch to be permanately depressed would any damage occur to the car. (I realise the fuel consumption would be horrible, but the car would drive with the gearbox in a more agresive mode.

Reply to
Spike

To permanently depress the kickdown, you will cause a computer error... which will say something is wrong with your kickdown switch.

You can reset your adaptive learning by disconnecting the battery... for a while.

Lastly, I am not sure what year you have and what tranny you have... If you got normal, D-4-3-2 control, then drive in 4 for sport mode. If you got steptronic, then try shifting gear yourself... it's fun.

One more thing, with a high performance car, you gotta have another feature to kick it in performance mode... check your owner's manual on this topic.

Reply to
Tiger

I have a Year 2000 with Funny Tiptronic thing that limits how many gears are available to the 'box', ie when indicating 4 it will behave like a 4 speed auto etc etc.

Reply to
Spike

Behaving like a 4 speed auto should be sport mode... you will see that the RPM shifting of gear is much higher than normal D mode.

Reply to
Tiger