126 drivers door lock problem

I've got a problem with the drivers door lock. I can lock the car no problem, but unlocking it is hit and miss and requires a touch like a midwife that I patently haven't got. The problem is within the handle/barrel mechanism. If I jigle the key enough, I can get it to work. Foolishly I thought that the thing just needed oiling, however I've made getting in even harder. I took the handle off (easy enough) thinking that I could pull the barrel out and see what my problem was. Do I need to knock out the roll pin (or is there 2, I couldn't quite decide) holding the barrel into the handle. Then what?

Any help would be useful. Can I get the barrel out? I'd really like to retain my original key.

Cheers... Rob

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Rob,

Call your local locksmiths and see if they can help. It is very easy to bugger these up and loose little bits if you are not very careful. It is probable that the lock plug has broken so a locksmith can swap the plug from the drivers side to the passenger side to give you some relief without having to replace anything if doing so would be cost prohibitive.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Have you tried squirting some graphite lock lube in there? How worn are your key? Have you tried with new key direct from the dealer? Dealer has your keycode as long as you provided your registration and ID.

Another easy solution is simply convert to keyless system... using remote to lock and unlock your car or alarm system.

Reply to
Tiger