190E 2.6 oil pan removal

Got me a '93 190E 2.6 with close to 200K miles and would like to replace the oil pan gasket. QUESTION???? can I just unscrew all pan bolts and slide out the pan freely???? without any interference from the frame cross member/ internal oil sump pump???????? Appreciate an expert advice before even attempting to start to do this one weekend.

Reply to
joewyc

Not exactly familiar with this 2.6 engine. But considering MB pretty much keeps the same design principle across all its models (at least around the similar years), the procedure may be similar to the 190D 2.2 engine which I have done.

If so, you need to raise the engine as much as possible, probably 3-4"., without disconnecting the drive shaft. The rear end of valve cover may touch the firewall and that's the max you can go. The oil pan can then slide out. Both the cross member and oil pump are on the way so it is not easy but you should be able to figure out how to slide it.

The oil pan construction is solid enough to support the engine weight, at least temporarily, so if you don't have engine crane you can still jack it up. But be VERY sure to support the pan evenly, ideally with broad wooden block, or you run the risk to crack it.

2.6 engine is quite large for W201 engine bay. I am not sure if there is enough clearence in the front, between fan and radiator, since the engine will be tilted a little bit. If not, the radiator may need to come out.

joewyc wrote:

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan