190E 2.6 Automatic Transmission noise

My 1992 190E 2.6 with 133k miles has developed a noticeable transmission whine in 1st and 2nd speeds. The noise under acceleration and deceleration is similar to what I have experienced in manual transmissions because of worn bearings. Shifting is still is very solid with no apparent slippage. This has been going on to some degree for the last 10k miles but is more noticeable now. Any clues as to what parts are failing in the trans and what the downside is to driving it untill it absolutely has to be rebuilt?

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek