Trunk Lock problem on 190E 2.6

The trunk (boot) lid just stopped opening on my 1993 190E 2.6. I can hear the lock mechanism moving at the latch, but the trunk won't open. All the other power locks work fine. Does anyone have any clues on what might be wrong and/or how to get it open?

Thanks,

Carroll

Reply to
Carroll Bloyd

Make sure the lock is in vertical position... relock and unlock to see if pressing the button will open up... if still not, then you need to check if the mechanism is still attached to the lock... between the lock and vacuum actuator.

Reply to
Tiger

If you can open the trunk with the key, you can check the linkage and the vacuum actuator. Otherwise, how do you check the vacuum actuator if you cannot even open the trunk? X-rays?

Reply to
Hernando Correa

Lock is vertical.

It's difficult to check the rest, since I can't get the trunk open.

Does anyone know how to get it open, short of drilling out the lock?

Reply to
Carroll Bloyd

Stick the key in, do NOT push anything yet, turn key to the left, now push the button in with the key turned to the left. Trunk should open.

When you push 1st and then turn the key to the left, you shear off the plastic linkage. It is available at the dealer and is replaceable. You have to remove the trunk lock to replace it.

Reply to
Karl

button in with the

linkage. It is

to replace it.

Thanks, Karl--that did it--the trunk is open. As far as I can tell, the plastic linkage is just fine. After getting it open, I first cleaned and then lightly lubed the mechanism and the push button with silicone spray and the system works perfectly, every time.

Not sure what the problem was--other than age and dirt.

Carroll

Reply to
Carroll Bloyd

You might have to readjust the rod so it stick out longer to actually unlock your lock...

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks, Tiger. It's working now--apparently just needed cleaning and lubrication.

Reply to
Carroll Bloyd