1966 230SL automatic upshift problem

While driving about 60-70 miles per hour the engine went into high revs like if you bumped the shifter into neutral. After slowing to side of road the transmission kicked in again but would shift into 3rd
or 4th. Also I noticed the speedometer stopped working. I limped the car home driving along 10 mph keeping the rpms down under 2K. The transmission has fluid, its full, clean & not burnt. The Mercedes shop near my house has no idea and all the guy there keeps saying to me is we need to take the trans out, take it apart and take a look at it. Anyone out there got any idea's beyond that? Thanks.
I suspect your man is correct when he says that the box needs to be removed and disassembled. The bands or their servos are probably the prime suspect and a piece thereof may be responsible for the dead speedometer.
There are professional rebuilders of these boxes, I recall a name like "Silver Star" or something similar, the advantage being a firm price and a warranty.
Still, pretty good for a 42 year old transmission!
--

2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.