1982 300CD-T: No power when cold

My 300CD-T has very little power when cold. I have underground parking, and in the morning, it barely has enough power to make it up the driveway out of my garage. It only takes a couple of blocks before
it's running normally, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. The same thing happens if I drive it in the morning and then start it up to go home after work. Where should I look first?
For those of you that follow this group, this is the same car that had problems with overheating on the highway a few months back. I have yet to change out the radiator, but around LA, it runs fine, aside from this problem.
I believe you need to clean the "banjo" fitting and its hollow bolt. That's easy to do.
At the aft end of the engine's intake manifold, near the firewall, is a plastic tube that's connected to the intake manifold. That connection accumulates soot and oil that needs to be cleaned out for the engine's acceleration to operate properly.
Remove the bolt using a 10 or 12 mm wrench, I forget which size. The bolt is hollow so clean it out with a wire. I use a unbent paper clip. The "banjo" fitting is clamped by the bolt and connected to the plastic line - clean it as well.
Reassemble the parts and snug the hollow bolt don't over tighten it!
I clean my car's banjo as part of each valve adjustment - just to ensure it gets done.
permission.
Thanks, T.G. I'll look there first.
On Sep 23, 12:11 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

What does this 'banjo' fitting do? Is it for the turbo boost pressure? If so, I would imagine this will affect the power at higher rpm because it prevents the turbo effect.
My 300SDL also has this low-power-when-cold problem. However, it does not have this 'banjo' fitting and it runs perfectly when engine is warm. The turbo effect kicks in around 2000 rpm and the power boost is BIG so I know the turbo pressure works fine. I am in the middle of replacing the head gasket (due to mixed oil/coolant). I am not sure if the bad gasket can cause this low power. Any suggestion?
-->> T.G. Lambach <<-- wrote:

The old five cylinder diesels have their "banjo" fitting at the aft end of the intake manifold, a convenient collection sump for oil and soot. When the motor is cold this dirt is like a stiff paste and so prevents the turbo boost from being transmitted to the injection pump's boost sensor. The problem resolves itself after the motor is warm and the dirt plug is more pliable.
If your motor has an ALDA on its injection pump you ought to trace its line back to its point of origin, probably somewhere on the intake manifold. (As you see I'm not familiar with your engine.)
permission.