Power loss when cold

Hi all,

1996 Disco 300TDi ES, high mileage. Very sluggish and smokey when cold but performs faultlessly when warm. I've toyed with a couple of ideas, could it be injectors or turbo for example. Am I missing anything simple though, is there a temp sensor somewhere? It's the non-ecu model btw. Ta for any help TonyB
Reply to
TonyB

Shit in the filters?

Thicker (cold) oil can't get through, when warm is less viscous so flows more freely, maybe.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Is it best to do this on the bench or can it be done in situ?

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Dr_D

Diagnosis, or recommendation for cure? :o)

Reply to
nullified

On or around Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:49:25 -0000, "Dr_D" enlightened us thusly:

I'm bloody sure *I* couldn't do it in situ.

are you on biodiesel?

There is a temp sensor on the head, about half-way along. dunno what it does, though, on a non-ecu one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Check the hoses to the intercooler, particularly the elbow below the turbo. Is the turbo a bit noisy - as in whistling? If so check the aforementioned hoses for air leaks. It sounds like the induction manifold may be taking a while to get to pressure.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

A trick worth trying when you start is to wait for the heater plug light to go out pause for about 20 secs and set the heater plugs on again then try to start just possible that the plug loom isn't getting enough current. bad earth etc Derek

Reply to
Derek

In news:T1axh.68793$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.ntli.net, Derek wibbled :

Maybe tired/dead glowplug(s)?

Reply to
GbH

Normal diesel, I have been using BP ultimate recently, it does give more power, smoother running and a few more mpg, despite it's higher price. Had a quick look today but can't see a sensor on mine, also checked the turbo hoses as best I could, all clips are tight except the bottom one which I couldn't get a scewdriver on but I suppose the intercooler could have a hole in it. I'll have another go at the lower clip when it gets a bit warmer, it was minus 4 today!

Others have suggested glowplugs, but there's no problem starting, so I don't think it's them, but I could change 'em anyway.

Funny enough, the problem seems to be very slowly improving, especially if I run it at 1500-2000 rpm down the lane before hitting the main road. It was previously used just for school runs and the idea of the turbo being full of crud would fit. It's had five oil changes since I've had it though.

I'll keep trying. Thanks TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I have the very same Disco and mine's also very sluggish when cold - have checked everything - even cleaned our intercooler. I think the sluggishness is all part & parcel of the engine type - so I leave the engine on tickover for 5 minutes or so before setting off in the morning and this helps a lot - also saves wear on the engine.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Thanks Tony,

What an odd thing. The 200Tdi that I had previously didn't do it at all. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Hi Tony, is it manual ot auto?

Sounds to me like this is the classic problem caused by the timing belt stretching, which results in both the injector pump and camshaft being retarded. Being retarded, and being cold, the engine is under-performing, but as it warms up it is able to cope better with the retarded timing.

I've seen this a lot in the 300 Tdi engines prior to fitting the Zeus gears, and it disappears with the gears being fitted. The only difference before/after is the timing of the injector pump and camshaft with respect to the crankshaft.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

PS I look after the Zeus gears in Australia, so do have a commercial interest in them, which I declare, but also have seen a lot of 300Tdi engines significantly improve in their performance and economy. Check our website for a dynometer study on this issue

Phillip Simpson

On or around Fri, 09 Feb 2007 07:59:24 +1100, Phillip Simpson enlightened us thusly:

I improved our 300TDi by advancing the pump timing a bit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles