1986 300E

Near the ABS unit under the hood there is a Horn. I acquired this car recently but wasn't given any remote controller. Is the presence of this horn unit an indication that an alarm system is installed and I just need to
buy a remote for it? Or perhaps it means that the car is <alarm system ready> i.e. this horn would be used by the alarm system if one was added. Thanks
yes it is an alarm system horn. You can test the functionality of the system by rolling down your window and locking the car. then open the door by pulling up on the door lock by the window. The alarm should now go off.
cheers, guenter

Thank you Guenter
How would I disable it if it does work?

Are you planning to steal your own car?

Yes, it makes it more exciting having a Merc if its stolen :) What I meant was if I set it off trying to test it, how do I stop it sounding off so as not to disturb the neighbours.

I'm pretty sure that all you need to do is unlock the door with the key.

    Ahhh, he asks the right question first :-) simply close/lock the door and unlock it properly with your key ..... I was in a mall with security coming toward me when I did this accidentally .... took me seemingly forever to figure it out :-)
cheers

Great. One little fun project for this evening.
Thank you all