1986 300e

Suddenly my 300e won't go into Drive. It goes into the lower gears just fine. There is a little grit in the AT fluid. Been serviced regularly. The only thing I noticed before this was a slight hesitation when taking off from a stop. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Does this mean by trans is bad? thanks

Reply to
kbmkbmkbm

Change your fluid and filter... Drain the torque converter and the pan... or drain and refill the pan 2 times before you change the filter.

My car had slight problem in morning... seems like the clutchpack doesn't grab and stutters... When I changed the fluid and filter... it solved itself and runs good.

Reply to
Tiger

thanks I will follow your suggestions. Everyone tells me the transmission is bad. how do I tell?

Reply to
kbmkbmkbm

Maybe because it won't go into drive? Sounds like a good clue to me :)

Reply to
Karl

so if I look for a used transmission to have put in how do I know what kinds are c ompatible with mine. I have a 1986 300e vin wdbea30d3ga197725 4s auto trans thanks

Reply to
kbmkbmkbm

Reply to
Karl

hey thanks a ton

Reply to
kbmkbmkbm

thanks. I wil try that. Everyone tells me the transmission is bad. what do you think?

Reply to
kbmkbmkbm

I recall there was a problem with cheap (Fram, I think) filters coming apart. This caused all kinds of transmission woes. (Seem to remember reading it on the old mercedes mailing list).

Check the archives

me