1987 300SDL LOW POWER

CAR RUNS AND STARTS COLD GREAT. COMPRESSION THEREFORE WOULD SEEM TO BE FINE. THE CAR GETS ABOUT 29.65 GIVE OR TAKE A BIT. SO INJECTOR PUMP SEEMS TO BE WORKING ABOUT AS WELL AS IT SHOULD. I AM WONDERING HOW
MUCH AUTHORITY AND INFLUENCE OVER THE WHOLE PROCESS THIS TURBO BOOST SENSOR ON THE INTAKE MANIFOLD ACTUALLY HAS, AS THIS SEEMS TO BE THE COURT OF LAST RESORT. DOES ANYONE HAVE AND PRIOR EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SENSOR CAUSING SUCH A PROBLEM?

There's a hollow bolt at the end of the boost sense line. When it clogs up the engine can't sense more boost and doesn't know to add extra fuel and the car is slow.
Remove, clean, replace and it should be better.
Ditto on this... very common problem.
maybe so. but it isnt normal. i had a 1986 version of the same car that ran rings around this one. so i know this isnt the way they normally run. im leaning toward the turbo boost sensor as the culprit. i pulled the wire today and drove a few miles with negligible differentiation if any at all. i will check the turbo for normal operation, and if it is running free and not dragging, i intend to replace this sensor
"Tiger" wrote
> Ditto on this... very common problem.
If turbo is bad, you will lose oil and blue smokes all the time. 95% of time is banjo bolt need to be clean...
I have a 1982 300 TDT. I have had situations over the years where the boost sensor was not working right for various reasons, including having the connector disconnected.
I would say that tthe power difference is subtle. I notice that the engine runs better and accelerates more smoothly and sounds better when I get it working right again, but I would not say that I notice a big fall off of power when it is not working.
You didn't say anything about your fuel or air filters. When either of those becomes clogged I notice a big drop off in power, much more noticeable, for example, when pulling a mountain grade, than issues that arise when the turbo boost is out of whack.
Paul Fretheim