1992 400E clutch plate ?

I have a 92 400e with 175K (2nd owner) and have maintained the car very well. I have a ticking sound when in reverse and mechanic is saying its a clutch plate (could be just the front or front and rear components) he is stating $1600 to $3800 in repairs depending on the severity...can anyone shed some light on this? Is this accurate? Is there a lower cost path to fixing it?

Reply to
socalsteve

Wait a minute, clutch plate? An automatic doesnt have a clutch plate. It has a torque converter. A clicking noise maybe a service that needs to be done and B1 and B2 piston replacements (about 150 dollars a piece) but you would have to be more specific were the sound is coming from, It may be your brake, mine catch and "click" a little in reverse due the close tollerence and the abs. I have a 93 400E.

archive:

macdrone

First of all, for an automatic tranny, that price to rebuild your tranny is way off the chart.

Second of all, the ticking could be your parking brake ticking... Are you positive it is underneath the car? Have someone back up slowly with hood open and you walk along with car listen.

A rebuilt tranny for your car is about roughly $1500 and about $700 to swap it out.

When is the last time you had your tranny filter and fluid replaced? Do this first.

Reply to
Tiger