400E/E420 Mileage

Hey all,

I'm looking to find some "realistic" mileage estimates from owners of W124 chasis 400E/E420 owners. Anyone got some juicy numbers?

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

is realistic figure... all the cars I owned match that figure or slightly higher.

Reply to
Tiger

I just got 24.1 mpg last weekend on a 350 mile highway trip with my 1992

400E
Reply to
Rob

None of the variations of the 400, 420, or 430 provide good gas mileage! None of any Mercedes V8 engines provide good mileage. What they do provide is smooth, powerful acceleration and cruising. They all run on premium fuel. What's hard to figure out is how Cadillac created a Northstar V8 that runs on regular gas and produces over 300 hp! P.

Reply to
Peter Klein

The choise is to throw up an '87 300D for a '93 400E. Considering the average I get on the diesel is 27 on the highway, and I'm starting to wish for more power... 24mpg freeway sounds AOK, especially when coupled with an additional 125hp.

Anyone else got some figures?

-Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Fueleconomy.gov is the best place to get your fuel mileage answer. These are the base EPA rating that is pretty on the mark for fuel mileage.

1987 300D is rated at 25 City and 30 Highway... which is an average of 27 MPG.

The 1993 400E is rated at 18 City/ 24 Highway... which is an average of 21 MPG. Requires Premium gas.

The fuel cost differece between the two based on annual usage and average price which may not be indicative of current gas prices... $977 for diesel and $1680 for gas... $703 difference... based on 15000 miles per year usage.

That's a nickel extra per mile... on top of your vehicle's cost, insurance, repairs, etc.

Reply to
Tiger

However, most of my driving is 6 miles one way to work, and it averages

16-17 mpg then.
Reply to
Rob

Ouch. Reconsideration time. The worst I've ever seen was 23mpg, and that was repeated runs to triple digits and back down again.

Tough call. Power vs. economy. Maybe an 05 CDI would be best?

-Mike

message

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Yep... that's right... or get 1998 or 1999 E300 Turbo Diesel... much cheaper and gobs of power.

Reply to
Tiger

Or, intercool the OM603. If someone would work with Mosselman to get their kit working on US engines (with EGR/AVR) then we'd be looking at 175hp and

250ft/lbs, comes out to more power than a 99 on a lighter body.

Estimate is under $2,000 per unit, I think. If someone would do the ground work, we'd be in business. I wonder who could do that...

-Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Whoa... you mean mosselman makes a turbo for our non-turbo diesel engine?

Reply to
Tiger

Actually they just make an intercooler for 603 turbos, as well as some other merc diesels. Their claim to fame is the one for the 2.5T engine which brings power up to higher than a stock 603 turbo while getting more mileage. The intercooler for the 603 would make it the 2nd fastest diesel car you can buy in the USA, second only to the 05 CDI.

Only catch is the piping is for euro spec engines, without EGR and AVR. So they have to redesign the whole thing to get it to work on US engines, or we have to buy a full euro intake/exhaust (dollah dollah). Mosselman is apparently willing to work with the US engine if someone gives them the parts to play with...

-Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Mmm... mmm... that sounds great... however I don't have a turbo version... I am pretty happy with what I got.

Reply to
Tiger