1996 320 E Mercedes

Page 2 of 2
I would have expected something far more complex than this!. Thanks for the info, at least I now understand the probelm.
said:

I have a 96 e230 with 160,000 miles on. I had a problem earlier this year with the coolant level light coming on. The level of coolant was ok and after running many test I ended up taking it to the dealer to get it checked. It tuned out that there was a fault on my window washer fluid sensor. ( yes .. the water bottle for washing the windows! ) This was very frustrating as the washer bottle light did not come one and the water bottle was full. Anyway, spent 20 on a new sensor for the window washer bottle and this fixed the problem. I don't think if would have ever spotted this with taking to the dealer.
I'm still amazed how the water level sensor in the water bottle could have caused the engine coolant light to come on. still .. the joys of electronic systems in cars!