220TE (UK) Intermittent fault; Engine dies

My car (W124) either dies when coming to stops on deceleration such as coming to a stop sign or roundabout.
It then will fail to start for 3-5 minutes.
As long as its left for 3-5 minutes it will restart 1st time
The engine will crank but not start.
It will also not start after turning the engine off for a short period.
Again 3-5 minutes and restart first time.
I have replaced the fuel pump relays.
My dealer cannot find the fault as it is completely intermittent and has been happening for about a year and is charging 79.00 per hour just to look.
Has anyone else had this sort of experience.
Thanks Sam
check the air slide ( the piston under the air filter) you may need to wd40 it. good luck greg

Best idea Ive had so far. Ill give it a try
Thanks Sam

I had a similar problem in my '87 300E. the linkage that was adjusting the airflow was getting stuck, causing the car to accelerate by itself. frighteningly taking itself from 0-50 with no action by me other than shifting into drive. eventually the linkage got completely stuck, and as soon as I started the car it instanly raced up to 4k rpm and I would kill it out of fear of redlining the engine. take the air filter off and lubricate the linkage and hopefully that will solve your problem.

period.
has
Can any of you guys tell me how to get to this Air Slide I took off the Air filter and its housing. There does not seem to be any moving part at all under the filter housing. The filter housing simply fits into the car body with to rubber lugs.
Am I looking in the right place

as