2000 ram 2500 cummins, engine dies

2000 Dodge ram 2500, cummins diesel. 180,000 miles.

Driving along about 35mph yesterday and the engine went dead. My first thought was the fuel pump had gone out again, as I had it replaced about 40,000 miles ago when it did the same thing. (Last time it would not restart crank but not fire and they did replace the pump. ) I checked the fuse/relay box and found no blown fuses, pulled and replugged the Fuel relay, and after a little cranking it started back up. So now it will go for a while and dies, it seems that I can pull that relay in and out a couple times and it will restart. I swapped that relay with the fog light relay (same relay) and checked the wiring in the socket end no problem found. Sometimes it will die after less than a minute other times it will run

10-15 miles. If it tries to die at freeway speed, I can play with the pedal and it stumbles along for 5-10 seconds and clears up. Odd because it will do it at 65 mph or at idol at a light.

The engine light is on, but I do not have a reader for the codes.

Thanks for any help! Paul

Reply to
pjpin

Figured out how to retrive the code, it is P1693. Paul

Reply to
pjpin

Carolina Watercraft Works

That means the Cummins ECM is bothered by something... most likely, loss of fuel pressure. Stop running it until you get this fixed. If you haven't already destroyed your injection pump, you soon will by starving it of fuel.

Get a fuel pressure gauge (a PERMANENT one), and a better aftermarket lift pump (as you've seen, the stock pumps are less than stellar), and hope that your $3,000 injection pump isn't trashed.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

also remember that truck was built in the days of low sulfur fuel not ultra low sulfur fuel. i add a little marvel mystery oil and powerservice with cetane boost to every tank in my diesel from that generation. michael

Reply to
nunya