300 D--Miraculous Transformation

We can see a lot of this vans around here at the streets, sometimes in very exterior poor condition, but the car is still being sold new,

[]s,

Mobi

Reply to
mobi

Cool!

I assume "around here" is somewhere in Brazil?

Reply to
Happy Trails

Wow. This is very interesting. It is a shame we cannot buy these and bring them to the U.S. The U.S. has totally blown its automotive industry. You cannot buy a good solid personally-repairable utility vehicle, and no car is for sale under USD $20K. Most are in the USD $30-50K range. With financing, insurance and all repairs done at the dealer or shop, the cost of automobile ownership is utterly ridiculous for those unfortunates who buy these over-priced, over designed things. What we need is, again, the VW Beetle, VW Bus, and W123 series Mercedes. It would also be nice if the pre-'90s International and Jeep lines could be brought back. But of course, nothing can ever be brought back. This is the tragic march of "progress".

Reply to
randallbrink

Whilst the W123 may have been a solid car -- I had a couple -- we mustn't get lost in romaticism. The old Beetle had its share of problems, too, otherwise owners would not have been driving around with engine compartment covers propped open.

Cars of the last 20 years or so are much more reliable that older cars. Better brakes, better tyres, better suspensions...

Wouldn't want to go back.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yes, it is! And we have 3 Mercedes-Benz plants at the country: one for buses and two others for cars, one of them only for export :)

[]s,

Mobi

Reply to
mobi

Well, I would, and do. I haven't bought a new car in decades. My

300D has great brakes, great suspension, and is likely much safer than the new ones. Plus I don't like the new Mercedes Toyota-inspired body styles.
Reply to
randallbrink

Doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, I like/d the W123, and it's great it floats your boat, but I was speaking more generally and I think many more modern cars are superior, including in the matter of safety. I don't think crumple zone research stopped in the 80s.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I agree with you on the safety issue, and I agree with the OP that if I want a car that looks like a Toyota I'll buy a Toyota.

Reply to
Steve Harder-Kucera