300D 1977 charge indicator light not coming on... ?

Ah, I've had a little saga already on this message board. When the cold desists a bit and I can drive out again, I will most likely get the battery replaced. But in the meantime, another curiosity... I managed to charge the battery of my

1977 300D -- I had to twiddle the cables around a little before it oddly started showing the charge needle on the display correctly at 0, I don't know why it was so picky about me clipping the black - cable to a place on the chassis... although the charge didn't go up 100% and stopped at 75% for some reason.

Anyway, I'll deal with that later. What I'm wondering now, if it's the roots of a bigger problem:

When I took the car out for a little spin, I noticed the battery charge indicator light, the little battery + - picture that's supposed to be illuminated in red... it didn't come on at all when the key was in Position 2 as it states in the manual. I never saw it come on... then again, I can't recall if it came on before , my memory's sort of hazy and this car is aging!

Is this a sign of trouble? For example, if I drive the car around without that light ever coming on in the first place, does that mean it will likely go dead all of a sudden in the middle of the road?

Thank you so much. I tried to Google about this but there was no pertinent information.

Reply to
bingowah

well..in 27 years... it appears that the charging indicator blub has gone out youll have to pull the cluster in order to replace...or live with it...since you have a diesel...a running engine will not discharge the battery, but then again...i personally dont like things that are there, but dont work (heard that somewhere here and felt it expressed exactly what i would think :O))

when u charge the battery externaly...use the posts ON the battery...not some part of the chassis

alex

"bingowah" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

desists a bit and I can drive out again, I will most likely get the battery replaced. But in the meantime, another curiosity... I managed to charge the battery of my 1977 300D -- I had to twiddle the cables around a little before it oddly started showing the charge needle on the display correctly at 0, I don't know why it was so picky about me clipping the black - cable to a place on the chassis... although the charge didn't go up 100% and stopped at 75% for some reason.

roots of a bigger problem:

indicator light, the little battery + - picture that's supposed to be illuminated in red... it didn't come on at all when the key was in Position

2 as it states in the manual. I never saw it come on... then again, I can't recall if it came on before , my memory's sort of hazy and this car is aging!

that light ever coming on in the first place, does that mean it will likely go dead all of a sudden in the middle of the road?

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

It sounds like you need a new alternator. My 1980 300CD did the same thing when the alternator was worn out. I'm told that when Bosch alternator brushes are completely worn down, you will not have a working charge indicator light.

Reply to
VCopelan