malfunction indicator light

02 ram 4.7. light came on. the manual doesn't really explain what that light does or what causes it to come on. anything i can do to check for to make it go off. how do i get it to go off. before i go to the dealer and they charge me hundred dollar digonastic fee to tell me whats wong. jason
Reply to
jason dominguez

Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON to OFF to ON to OFF to ON. Watch the odometer. It will display one or mode diagnostic codes (Pxxxx, with xxxx being a 4-digit number). When finished, it will display Pdone.

If you don't see at least Pdone, you didn't cycle the ignition properly. So we're clear, you're not turning the key all the way to start. ON is the position where all the dash lights come on. OFF is one position back from ON. Complete the cycle within 3 seconds.

When you get the codes, post them here, and we'll take it from there.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Fantastic! I've found out I have P0500 code error (Speed Sensor) can you tell me where the sensor is located on my Dodge Ram 1500,

4.7L ,Auto, 4X4 ???
Reply to
JoeWincek

turns out, just when this happened i got a notice from the dealer for an old recall i never knew i had. go figure. it was for the blower motor harness. they told me i had a leak. changed the gas cap and its been off ever since. (fingers crossed). i copied on what to do for future refrence if that light goes on again. thank you

Reply to
jason dominguez

Okay - this is referring to the Vehicle Speed Sensor, located in the top of the rear differential housing. Have you noticed anything erratic with your speedometer, particularly at low speeds?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

That speed sensor is for the rear wheels and will turn on the ABS light, at least it did on mine.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Medlin