300E front shock question

When replacing front shock/struts (DIY), is it necessary to compress the springs, or can the installation be done without this step?
Thanks.
On 31 May 2004 15:26:10 GMT, Oneguy wrote:

If you are thinking of doing a job that involves compressing the suspension springs, then you really should check this out before you start:
http://misc.mbzarticles.org/compressor /
300 Essie
--
1994 Mercedes E280 [W124] 99,000 miles (R.I.P)
1992 Mercedes 300 SE [W126] 230,000 miles

Many thanks!
O.G.