300E largest Rims

Hi All,

I still love the look of my W124 and it's still in great shape (other than a crappy idle that I can't fix) I've been noticing that there are a number of people who love the look of this car as well and have been updating it. Adding larger rims looks very nice. I don't want huge rims with a rubber band for tires but I wouldn't mind getting something bigger than the 15". The wheel wells certainly have ample room. I've been thinking about 17" rims. Is this too large for the suspension I wonder? any suggestions appreciated. Has anyone put on larger rims?

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I currecntly have 16" wheels on my W124... The ride is very nice and comfortable... I currently have 205/55R16... I chose this size for economy... but if I were to buy again, I would opt for the 215/55R16 or

225/50R16 if you want wider.

For the 17", your choices can be 215/50R17 or 225/45R17... both is excellent as far as the sidewall is concerned... it is not rubber band per se.

Keep your original wheels for snow tires if you get snow in the winter.

Reply to
Tiger

I have a set of staggered AMG wheels on my '92 300D. Looks great, rides fine. In a perfect world I'd trade the 8 1/2" rear wheels for a pair of

7 1/2" to math the front.
Reply to
JD

Still haven't sorted out the idle problem?... :o(

Anyway, when changing rim size, you should always maintain the same wheel size (rim + tyre). So when going up in rim diameter, you must go down in tyre profile (tyre profile defines tyre heigth in percent of tyre width, i.e. a 195/65 tyre has a width of 195 mm and a heigth of

126,75 mm).

You can then play with the combination of rim diameter, tyre width and tyre profile. From the standard dimension of 195/65R 15 you can go to:

195/60R 16 205/50R 17 225/45R 17 195/45R 18 225/40R 18 195/40R 19 225/35R 19

So, the maximum size of rim is really a matter of taste (handling vs. comfort, economy vs. look). The 205/50R 17 would be a good compromise, and the 225/40R 18 would be more sporty but with less comfort.

Try to look at

select your model and look at the "tuning sizes" to see various tyresuggestions and at "tuning rims" to see various rim sizes illustratedon your car.

You should know that rim size has three dimensions, diameter, width and offset (fx. 17" x 7=BD" ET 49).

The offset (ET) is how much (in mm) the rim is "pressed in" with respect to being centered on the mounting flange. ET 49 is standard for W124. You can play with tyre width and ET to get the tyre flush with the chassis, which gives a much sportier look (smaller ET brings wheels outwards). And you can lower the suspension by some 35 mm by replacing springs, which would look nice with your new rims - but again comfort vs. handling/look.

Reply to
Jens

[...]

And by the way, you should choose a rim with that suits the tyre width. With the suggested tyres a 7=BD" rim would be fine. I you want to go wilder (such as 255/40R 17) you should use 8=BD" rims.

In any case, when you play with tyre width, wheel offset and lowered suspension, you shall observe the space in wheel wells and how the wheels will pass the fenders when turning.

Reply to
Jens

.... and (if you are interested) I use 245/40R 19 ET35 (Brabus Monoblock III - 19" x 9,5") on my W140 with 35 mm lowered suspension. Looks nice, handles well but a little on the cost of comfort.

Reply to
Jens

Well, Jens, thanks for offering that bit of information. I suspected that you might have something other than stock, but wasn't going to be 'nosy'. I'm basically trying to decide between 17" and 18" .... those wheel wells on the

300E sure are big. Maybe 18" will look best. Of course if a 17" comes along at a good price, 17" it will be.

cheers and thanks , guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Do not go 18"... too thin of sidewall is bad ride and bad traction over imperfect road. The skinnier the sidewall, the more 'lifted' the car will look.

Remember, the diameter of the new tire package is pretty much the same as original so super skinny sidewall will make it look way way lifted.

Even with my 16", it is lifted. I haven't install my lowering kit yet.

Reply to
Tiger

Agree, it easily looks silly without lowering it same time.

Whether 17" or 18" looks better is really a matter of taste. Definately with 40 profile you will feel the bumps on the road, whereas 50 profile is more soft (and 80 profile is really soft... or comfortable/sluggish whatever you prefer).

It also depends on shock absorbers (comfort or sport type). Tuning companies are (or may be) good at finding the right balance for good handling. For DIY moderate lowering and moderate rim sizes are safe choices without changing shock absorbers.

Reply to
Jens