79 240D Ring gear problem

Has anyone out there ever heard of the ring gear on the fly wheel coming loose? I was having trouble starting my car where I would just here the starter motor whir. Naturally I thought the started was bad
and just not engaging. After the second replacement starter I realized something else was at play and discovered that the ring gear was able to spin on the fly wheel.
Can anyone explain this to me and what the fix is before I tear into it?
The ring gear is a press-fit onto the flywheel. You get a new one, #47 here: http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F 3123&Ma6%2E912&GAr2%2E117404&GMq6%2E005210%2C214+++++++717%2E400&CT=M&cat4&SID&SGR5&SGN and get a oxy-acetalyne touch with a rosebud tip and heat it red hot, then put it on the cold flywheel, 41 or 44 in the above link. When it cools, it shinks and tightens on the wheel.
If your ring gear has not cracked and split, leading to it being loose, then you need a new flywheel with the ring gear on it. The old one will no longer hold a new ring gear tight.

I'm taking it apart today. I thought about trying the drilling and pinning option too. I'll see what's what when I get in there.
If I do need a flywheel, does anyone know where I can get one? Looking at the usual sources, I only see ring gears and flywheel bolts!?
Thanks for the info!
runbiodiesel wrote:

If you can access the flywheel, why not drill holes inthrough ring gear into the fly wheel, and driving a pin through to hold the gear in place.
did in on another car I had, pontiac, if I remember right. worked for until I sold the car.
j.