gear/shift indicator out of position

I'm not sure what happened, but the gear indicator on my instrument panel has gotten off by one position. Is this a common problem? All the gears work as they should so there isn't anything wrong with the transmission. I'll probably take the instrument cluster out to see if I can reset the position, but thought i would check here first to see if any others had experience with this problem. How bad is it to remove the cluster on a 1998 ford explorer xlt?

-Inet

Reply to
inetquestion

No need to remove the instrument cluster; the adjustment should be at the other end. Remove the covers and get to the steering column. You will see a thin cable hooked to a pawl on the gear selector shaft. Don't remember the detail, but you should be able to rotate that pawl -- probably by loosening a clamp screw.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

so all that is required is taking off the bottom cover under the steering column? I'll give it a shot this evening... Thanks for the reply.

btw - what is a pawl? :)

-Inet

Reply to
inetquestion

The cable is disconnected under the truck at the transmission. the Haynes manual tells how to do it. It takes about 10min at the most. I forget exactly the steps but you put the truck in drive (truck off of course) and then take the cable off at the transmission. Then move the lever back to "D" and reinstall the cable. Or something like that it was a few years ago when I had to do it to mine.

Reply to
Cedartown Electronics

If memory serves, it's not under the steering wheel shroud (if that's what you meant), but a bit farther down. You will probably need to remove the larger rectangular bottom instrument panel cover to get there. Make sure to undo the hood release bracket first. Also get a good ratchet -- plenty of screws to deal with; especially those that attach the steel safety shield that's under the plastic trim. Good Luck!

Simply put, a hook.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

required is taking off the bottom cover under the steering

I don't think you have to go through all that. On my 99, there is a thumbwheel adjuster under the steering column that you can adjust the indicator to the right position. You will need a flashlight and a flexible neck. You don't have to remove anything. Look under the steering column and follow the gear selector lever. There should be a thin cable attached to it. Continue following this cable and it should lead you to a thumbwheel adjuster. Turn the thumbwheel and it should move the indicator. It would help to have a buddy look at the indicator while you turn the thumbwheel.

Reply to
Mikepier

I pulled the panel off under the steering wheel to find the adjustable wheel you mentioned and the plastic piece that holds it in place had broken. I'm in the process of epoxying it overnight. We'll see how it works out in the morning.

Reply to
inetquestion

The epoxy job worked, and adjusting it was as simple as turning the little black wheel as you said.

Where the break occurred didn't leave much gluing surface. After the pieces were put back in place I used some masking tape to enclose an area around the broken piece and the base. Then fill that area with epoxy and you will add a lot more strength than the original had. Be careful not to let any epoxy get into the holes the cable has to pass through or the area where the black wheel goes or you will spend some time trying to sand it off.

-Inet

Reply to
inetquestion