'55 307 Jumps out of 5th gear?

Hi All, i have a '55 plate, manual 307 2.0 very low mileage (24k). Its decided to gently jump itself out of 5th gear, but only when cruising at around 65 mph. Just drops in to neutral, no noises, no difficulty finding any other gears at any times. It normally goes straight back in, in around

20 miles it might do it twice. However today it jumped straight back out. Signs it could be getting slowly worse. I am getting a Haines manual shortly to have a read up, but has anybody encountered this - or got some starting points for me please ? I'm relatively competent - and not looking forward to any large garage bills. Appreciate any pointers. Cheers, Alistair.
Reply to
Alistair

Chris

Hi Chris, from your experience the fault is the actual gearbox yes ? So a recon gearbox is the best option. If that's the case so be it, do you work with Peugeots all the time, and how long in hours should it take me to swap it over ? Thanks for your reply. Alistair.

Reply to
Alistair

Reply to
Chris

ok, have found a 'competent person' who thinks it may be the fifth gear and the syncro need replacing, can all be done in situ via gearbox end plate. only 4 components required, Take a couple of hours tops, reckons about £

400.00. He is coming round saturday for a look - so will report back with findings. He's also saying could be a loose nut on end of shaft or low fluid ?? cheers Ali
Reply to
Alistair

--=20 Chris

Reply to
Chris

Pleased to report - we took off the gearbox end plate and found nothing too apparent, when we went to drain the gearbox - it contained about 1 cupful, not the 1.9 ltrs we were expecting. We have run 7000 miles with almost no gearbox oil ! (lucky, that's more than lucky). Filled it up and after extensive road test - no more jumping out of 5th gear. All sorted for about a score. Sweet !!! Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

--=20 Chris

Reply to