99 E 300 Side View Mirror Repair

The springs for the left and right side view mirror assembly were detached while having the car washed today. The were pushed forward. Can someone tell me how to reassemble them. I have both springs but am not sure how the spring attaches on the inside of the mirror body. Thanks

Reply to
lfcj

Usually when they detach that means the holes broke and you need new mirrors!!

Better go to your dealer and have them look at them. They can then give you an estimate to take back to the carwash......

Reply to
Karl

Karl - Thanks for the response. Not likely that the car wash will pay with all their disclosures. And a legal recourse would be futile. But what type of holes are you referring too? I can see a plastic arm that the spring attached to looking down the hole into the assembly which I believe it slipped off of and can be re-attached. The question is.... how do I re-attach it? Is there link to a schematic that shows how it done Somebody PLEASE tell me there's a way to do this other than paying $450+ a pop for new mirrors.

Reply to
lfcj

Before you spend that for the mirrors, suggest you check with wrecking yards. virtually all the benzes in my favorite Ft. Worth. yard have been hit in the rear, and the rest of the car is in nice shape.

Reply to
robrjt

Reply to
lfcj

Here are the mirror parts that are serviceable from MB:

#5 is what you will need......

Reply to
Karl

Not sure if the design is the same. On the 96 C280 (W202) we have, the mirror cover can be slided off. I forget if the mirrow swings forward or backward (or both ways) to get to the clips. They are just indents (two or three) built into the cover. Once the cover is off, the spring is exposed. You need the strong spring hook that is usually used to attach the drum brake spring. The one I have says 116-589-01-62-00.

Like what Karl said, I suspect the hole (or the hinge) is now broken. The design should be robust enough to swing the mirror back when no force is applied on it.

Why did I work > Karl - Thanks for the response. Not likely that the car wash will pay with

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

the left spring hook slips over an "L" shaped protrusion.

the right spring hook does so similarly

it's possible that the impact to car wash equipment broke the L-shaped metal, and if you look closely you may see shiny exposure in otherwise blackened metal parts.

Reply to
raymond

Yeah, the mirror design is almost identical (to W202). The broken "hinge" I was talking about is the upside-down J shape metal (kind of black but shining) between the left yellow circle and the mounting base.

raym>

Wan-ning Tan

Gotcha!! - A picture is worth a K words.

Thanks everyone!!

Reply to
lfcj