Activating Navigation On a 2004 ML350

Hello everyone,
Does anyone out there know of a way to activate the in dash navigation system for a 2004 ML350 that does not involve giving a dealer $2500+?
I would like to activate the Navigation system but the $2500 is just too expensive.
Any help appreciated.
I also have a 1999 ML320 (believe it or not, no major problems after 81k miles). Any recommendations on tires for snow in Eastern PA. Stock 16" rims.
Thanks, Scott
You may have the display unit but you lack all other components to make navigation system work... the GPS unit, the processor, the DVD drive for navigation unit... etc.
When you press the 'open door' button, how many disc drives do you see in the command unit?
If the top half is a black blank wall..... you do NOT have a Nav processor to activate.
That is why the dealer wants $2500+!