Alternator "Screw" lower bolt '79 300D

In the course of changing V-belts, I have discovered the apparent absence of the lower bolt ("screw" according to the manual, as there is no nut.) However, I do not have a parts list to determine the
specification of the item for replacement. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Add pictures here
✖
Alternators are attached with two lower "pivots" - bolts that must be loosened to move the alternator AND an adjustment Nut on the alternator bracket.
The pivots are just bolts that screw into a bracket; as I recall, they have no nuts. I found it was easier to access these from underneath than from above.
Loosen the pivot bolts, then turn the adjustment nut to slacken and tighten the drive belt.
--

© 2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
On Feb 10, 1:34 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

You're right--the pivot bolt is easier to reach from underneath.
But my problem is that that lower pivot bolt appears to be missing, although I am at a loss as to how the alternator would remain in place or function with that bolt gone. I am now fearful that the bolt may be broken off inside, although there is no evidence of that, other than that alternator is still in place and functioning normally.
Add pictures here
✖
Then remove the alternator, inspect and rectify that problem.
Add pictures here
✖

Will do. I will examine and if the bolt has been broken off, remove and replace.
Add pictures here
✖
It should have a long bolt going thru the front. #158 here: http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F 3130&Ma7%2E912&GAr2%2E118405&GMq6%2E005++++++++++++++717%2E400&CT=M&cat3&SID&SGR5&SGN
wrote:

Will do. I will examine and if the bolt has been broken off, remove and replace.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, that is the one. I will try to match that bolt tomorrow, but am now assuming that it is broken off inside the journal, or else the alternator itself wold have come loose.
Thanks very much!
Add pictures here
✖
Randall, can you put a probe through the empty hole to confirm a missing bolt vs. one that broke off?
A missing bolt is easy - just match its mate.
If the bolt's stud remains then a pivot point remains and, though not specification, works - as you see. To remove a broken stud is a task with no guaranty of success - remove the alternator and struggle to remove the dead stud. And what if you shear it off - then the pivot is gone so the bolt must be replaced by drilling it out and substituting a bolt, nut and lock washer. Not much space to work there.
You know about sleeping dogs......
--

© 2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
✖
On Feb 10, 4:25 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

Yes, probably better left alone. I'll just test it to see if there's anything in the hole, and if so, leave it alone. I gather that it is not critical to the function of the alternator, which comes as a surprise.
Thanks again.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 10, 4:25 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

That's what I'll do next--should've done it when I discovered it, of course, but I do know that there was no visible stud in the hole-- which for me makes this even more strange--you'd expect to see the broken shaft if the head had been twisted off. Plus there are factors against it: A well-maintained car, and very large-diameter bolt that wouldn't be conducive to twisting off--a mystery. There is, I suppose, the possibility, that the bolt was removed and not replaced.
Add pictures here
✖