Driveshaft Vibration Dampener

Some Mercedes have a rubber and metal disk at the front of the driveshaft that is called a vibration dampener. Both my 230CE 4-speed and the donor

190E 5-speed have this. I need to have a drive shaft shortened for the 5-speed. The people that I talked to that will doing the work said that it does not need the dampener and the one that I get from them will not have one.

Do you know if this will be OK?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

You need it... MB puts it in for one reason only... because it needs it. You buy a new flex disc when you install it.

Reply to
Tiger

That is what I am thinking too. One of the things that he said was that the rubber on the vibration dampener gets hard and it does not work right. I don't understand why some cars need it and some don't.

TSB ref# 41/15 dated Feb. 1991 states that model 201.028 has a dampener and model 201.029 does not have it but does have a modified flex disk.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

I don't see what the issue is with these guys... when they shorten it, they can shorten it to any length they want. There is still an adjustable sleeve in the front part of the driveshaft so you can put in the flex disc.

Since you need a shorter one... the only modification they need to do is the front part of the driveshaft... the rear remains the same... and with the adjustable sleeve, you should be able to find someone who can do it with no problem. The right way... MB way.

Reply to
Tiger

I should have been more clear. I am not talking about the flex disk. There is a disk adjacent to the flex disk that can not be removed that MB calls a vibration dampener. this is the part in question.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

The disc serves two purposes that I know of. It damps vibration. But it also takes care of any misalignment between the tranny output shaft and the driveshaft just like a universal or CV joint would do. In theory there would be no misalignment. But that would be assuming that all motor mounts, transmission mounts, shaft carrier bushing mounts(not the real name, but the thing that holds the driveshaft at the center of the car whose name I can't remember.), etc. are not worn or even slightly misaligned. Without this, once your motor mounts or transmission mounts start to sag, the bearings supporting the output shaft of the tranny won't be subjected to extra forces.

I'd find another shop with more knowledge. It's often a good indicator of competence.

Reply to
weelliott

Keep in mind that I am not referring to the flex disk that connects the driveshaft to the transmission. but a 133 mm diameter disk that is attached behind the driveshaft flange. It is a rubber and metal assembly. Some Mercedes have this and some do not.

The shop,

in Portland, OR, specializes in MB, BMW and Lexis drive shafts seems to know what they are talking about. They were recommended in a MB forum. Other shops in the area wont touch it.

There take is that the dampener is no good due to hard and cracked rubber by the time that they get a shaft for re-build so they take it off and balance it without it.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Then follow their expertise... I mistaken flex disc with your dampner... I would agree with them on the dampner breaking apart and causing big problem. They personally balance the driveshaft so it never needs any type of dampener.

Reply to
Tiger

Hi Scott:

We have many driveshafts through here some have built in vibration dampners and some do not, even same make,model and year, as long as your unit is properly balanced by manufacturer, should be no problem. The fact you are using a professional rebuilder will get rid of most of your headaches.

Don Sparks (Bowtie Benz)

Reply to
Don Sparks