Business Week Mercedes Cover Story

Anyone else read it? Does not put a good light on quality. They are squeezing out every penny they can from their vendors (and the consumer too with no free maintenance on new cars).
I was going to buy a new 2007 S500 but now I'm thinking BMW instead.
Why do you care about M-B's quality?
A new M-B comes with a 4 year warranty which can be extended if you choose to keep the car longer.
So the bother is yours but the repair and replacement cost is theirs - and they're learning that - BIG TIME!
I'm sure that after ten minutes with BMW's i-drive you'll come running back to quality deficient M-B.
Cars have become overly complicated to justify their high price points, and complexity breaks. That's the real problem, IMHO.
T.G. Lambach wrote:

Outstanding T.G.,couldn't have put it better myself!
to the LS 430
===========BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400 1999 E320 4-Matic
T.G. Lambach wrote:

In the Europe/Germany the warranty is 1 year, in the UK 3 years

Hey there bear guy! Thanks for the info about business week article. Now I gotta go ta tha trailer nex door an git tha ole boy thar ta read it ta me!! I have looked at the BMW, and that weird little mess in there that controls everything seems a bit complex for an old geezer whut caint read two gud. Them ole kudzu burner looks OK, but I think the seat is a tad smaller than the noQual ShrimpMobile. So I am going to look at the new ShrimpMobile and see what it is like. If it is no good - a high probability I fear - then I will go buy a used kudzu burner for a year till the new cheap MB imitation LS comes out in 07. The current ShrimpMobile is getting kinda old.
mcbrue readinglychallanged under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
The sad thing is most of you could not buy a new S500 if MB offered 30 year financing. So getting screwed on maintenance does not matter to you. But if you paid 90 grand for one you might have a different perspective. The closest you can get is a "test drive".
DaFlaBear wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more, especially when other luxury car makers still offer the 3 or 4 yr. free maintenance.
If the negativity were removed from your comment you would be left with inadvertently having raised an interesting point. They could probably sell more cars with longer financing ( like 7 to 10 years ) if they could also throw in a warranty and maintenance for that term. Many people keep them that long.
.

30 year financing on a S500?? Sign me up! Will they take my '81 300D and '66 200S as trades?
cp

yeh yeh, we heard you the first time! I'll now crawl back into my 1981 300D in shame that I can't afford a new S500...
cp