Impala cowl cover hardware

Hello:

I took the cowl cover over the cabin filter off on my 2001 Impala LS last night to vacuum out the leaves and debris, etc. There was quite a bit of stuff under there.

The cowl cover has some small weatherstrip that was rotted, and it just fell off. I put some new stick on foam rubber weatherstrip on as a replacement, but not I cannot get a good seal at the base of the windshield. So, I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone know what a good fix would be for replacement of that small bead of weatherstrip (besides silicon rubber)?

2) Does anyone know what kind of 'christmas tree' fastener fits over by the wiper arm? I bought several types, but they are all too small.

3) The cowl cover seems to be slightly warped such that you have a small gap near the wiper park paw. How important uis this seal? I have heard that this is a source of water leaks into the passenger floorboard. (This car has never leaked, yet).

Thanks for any advice and replies.

Have a nice day,

Bill _________________

1988 Lancer Shelby 1991 LeBaron Convertible 2001 Impala LS
Reply to
billccm

The cowl cover has to be sealed to the windshield or water will leak onto the passenger floor - and into the glove box, various computers, etc. Go to the hardware store and get a tube of marine grade black polyurethane caulk. Plan ahead because it is relatively expensive and will not keep for more than a few weeks after opening.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Thanks for your advice. I got some 1/2" think PVC 'stick on' foam weatherstrip from ACE Hardware and it seemed to seal really well. We will see in the next rain. My wife and I really love our Impala, but the small details like this have tarnished our satisfaction. Have a nice day, Bill

Reply to
billccm

After hearing about these leak problems some models have, I'm now glad my interior air filter is inside the vehicle rather than in the cowl. Even though is a struggle to replace.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,272 91 Bonneville LE 304,498
Reply to
Harry Face