C230 Wiring Harness

The check engine light on my 2002 C230 came on and after taking it to the dealer, the service rep tells me that the sensor code indicates oil in the wiring harness and that parts and labor will total around
$1200. He also stated that a mechanics bulletin to all dealers indicated this problem has occurred on this model before. My question is how often, and is it possible that this should be covered under a recall? I also have a 2003 ML series and have been very happy with both vehicle until now.
Thanks

That would ask for sensors sensing the wire harness for oil, these sensors again need their harness but perhaps use the same sensors :-)
Please clarify, the issue must be on the harness, on the sensors, perhaps oil sensor or something like that?
Yes, this is a known problem. As one MB mechanic posted to a UK group, "The camshaft adjuster leaks oil internally and this goes into the wiring loom (harness). The oil travels along the loom and usually ends up at the lamda sensor (O2) on the exhaust. If you're unlucky, it goes into the engine ECU...more money! This can be avoided by fitting an in-line loom mod bit, which is about 6" long and is designed to absorb oil and not let it pass through to the loom... The problem is only on later 111 engines - very last of the 202 c class, early 203 c class & 208 clks...Part number for the mod is 2711502733 14.36+vat. I would recommend anyone who has an early 203 4 cylinder with engine number starting 111 buys this part. It is an easy DIY fit. Remove front engine cover trim & plug new loom between cam adjuster & old loom. This may save you 1000+"
Doug
Im right in the midst of this problem. Ive had both O2 sensors replaced already, and its looking like both the wiring harness and ECU is next.
"magillis" wrote > The check engine light on my 2002 C230 came on and after > taking it to the dealer, the service rep tells me that the > sensor code indicates oil in the wiring harness and that parts > and labor will total around $1200. He also stated that a > mechanics bulletin to all dealers indicated this problem has > occurred on this model before. My question is how often, and > is it possible that this should be covered under a recall? I > also have a 2003 ML series and have been very happy with both > vehicle until now. > > Thanks