RSX Engine Warning Light On After Engine Stall

Hi,

My daughter's engine warning light came on after she stalled the engine. It has been over a week and it is still on. Is this normal? Does it require attention? She has a 2003 RSX S-Type, manual 6 speed.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Brown

If the check engine light is on it should have set a code. Have the code read out to see what the error problem is. Many Auto Parts stores will do it for free.

Reply to
I. Care

"Gary Brown" wrote in news:lKNQi.11$U_5.10 @newsfe05.lga:

It's probably a transient set by the stall.

Pull the 15A ECM fuse. It's fuse #17, the end one of the group of three right at the very back or the very front (I forget which) of the under- hood fuse box. Wait 30 seconds then put it back.

This will clear any DTC's and turn the light off.

If the light subsequently turns back on again, then you need to get the error code read by somebody with an OBD-II scanner.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns99CA9BA13A3Etegger@207.14.116.130:

Only 30 seconds? Shouldn't it take longer than that,like maybe 10 minutes or more? Perhaps you meant 30 minutes instead of 30 seconds?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns99CAA6E0E13A1jyanikkuanet@

64.209.0.86:

OK, thirty minutes then. Won't hurt anything.

Seriously though, I doubt Honda is using caps with a 30-minute persistence.

Reply to
Tegger

"Gary Brown" wrote in news:TqvRi.27$Ef2.20 @newsfe04.lga:

Coincidence. There's no connection between the stall and the oxygen sensor.

I'll bet it was a O2 sensor heater code. That's the most common type.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns99CCB61C88369tegger@207.14.116.130:

Aren't RSX's new enough that the O2 sensor would be covered under warranty? Like the emissions warranty?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns99CCC58C7B6BEjyanikkuanet@64.209.0.87:

Not for an oxygen sensor.

O2 sensors are covered under the automaker's routine powertrain warranty, which for Honda is 3/36. And this car is an '03.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns99CCC6EB741BFtegger@207.14.116.130:

seems that an O2 sensor would affect emissions,thus be under it's longer warranty. Ah,well.....

thanks anyways!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns99CCE9FDA7A00jyanikkuanet@64.209.0.84:

See here:

Most parts carry a 2/24 federal warranty unless the automaker warrants them for longer.

The cat and ECU/OBD carry an 8/80 federal warranty.

Oxygen sensors are covered under Honda's normal powertrain warranty, which I'm pretty sure is 3/36 for the OP.

Reply to
Tegger

Nope. Wish it was. I just had to replace mine - no coverage at 5+ years and over 60k miles. I only had to pay 440$ for mine though - such a bargain!

Reply to
Yoda

The O2 sensor costs $220. This job should take about 10 minutes to replace....I can't imagine that they could charge over 30 minutes to replace it ~ $270. I would suggest you try finding another shop to get this replaced at.

Reply to
nick

  • 0 to read the OBD + Massachusetts + Boston + an Acura Dealer
Reply to
Gary Brown

"Gary Brown" wrote in news:%mXSi.6410$6o4.4615 @newsfe02.lga:

Read the OBD for FREE at AutoZone. Try it.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns99D141B61BF40tegger@207.14.116.130:

I also don't know why an OEM O2 sensor would cost even $200.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns99D18045CCEF8jyanikkuanet@

64.209.0.85:

Dealer markup is about 60%. This means approximately $120 wholesale price. OEM is likely made to higher standards than aftermarket offerings, accounting for any other difference in price.

Honda has been fanatically "green" since the early '70s. They put LOTS of money into emissions components, and buy the best from their suppliers.

OEM Honda cats are of wildly excellent quality, which is partially why they cost a thousand dollars new and last the life of the car when cared for.

Reply to
Tegger