C240 question

I'm seriously considering replacing my wife's '81 240D with a C240 and am wondering if there's anything I should be aware of regarding this model. We've looked at some at dealers and they all appear to be in like new condition at 40k to 55k. Would like to hear from some experts. Incidentally, the 240D has only 165k on it and I'm going to keep it for our son who will be entering college in three more years. Lots of steel and no rocket launchers on board. Perfect for a guy I'm worried about behind the wheel. Nearly ran over my foot with our tractor when he was 13!

Reply to
Ernesto

Get the general info from edmunds.com.... there is a link to customer satisfaction for some insight.

Any of the modern MB will drive much better than that 81...Get extended warranty... from dealer or from AAA... they are worth every penny for service repairs.

Reply to
Tiger

Especially since the new C240 is nowhere near the quality of the 81

240D. The reliablility woes of the late model MBs have kept me away.
Reply to
Paul Elliot

Hi

I agree with Tiger ref quality.

I have a 1998 C240T that I bought a few years ago with only 19,000 miles on it.

It has now done 32,000

Replaced so far:

Fuel gauge sender (left hand side) Left hand front coil spring. It just snapped without warning one day! Right hand rear wheel ABS sensor. Lambda Sensor. Left hand front indicator lens. Walked away from the car after a drive and noticed that there was just wires hanging and no lens! (not stolen assumed fell off)

  • service items inc set of rear discs/rotors

Still to fix: Heater fan speed switch is 'floppy' i.e. by wiggling it a bit you can vary the speed of the motor. Drivers door mirror cover works loose at speed.

It hasn't ever let me down but somebody paid £28,500 (approx $50000US) for this back in 1998. Would you be happy?

Cheers

Neil UK

1998 C240T 1998 SL500 1950 Land Rover

Reply to