Chain Tensioner on 1984 MBZ 240D

Hello again Experts :-)

It appears that the gasket between the chain tensioner and the engine block is leaking. The Mercedes manual gives information that the gasket could be a flat one or two o-rings. I already have what I think are two suitable o-rings. The large one has a diameter (middle of the ring) of just 1" (25.4 mm) and the small one has a diameter 3/8" (10 mm). There is also an aluminum ring of the same diameter as the large ring with a thickness of 1/16" or about 1.5 mm. I don't know what that is for.

There is also a flat gasket. The chain tensioner flange that connects to the engine block has an oddball shape with a hole of 7/8" diameter (22 mm) and two other 5/16" (8 mm) holes, 2.5" (52 mm) apart. Presumably for bolts to connect to the engine block. This flat gasket looks exactly like the diagram in the manual. I guess I will have to use whichever fits that flange.

Before re-attaching that flange again, it has to be "massaged" to get some SAE 10 engine oil

The manual also indicates: "Fill chain tensioner. For this purpose hold tensioner at thrust pin and dip into SAE 10 engine oil beyond flange. Slowly press thrust pin right home 7 to 10 times, using press or drill press. Once the tensioner is full, a good deal of force must be needed to compress the pin. Moreover the pin must retract quite slowly and evenly."

Has anyone tried to fill the tensioner by pushing down several times as hard as possible?

Advice appreciated :-)

TIA

Reply to
jvalh

Never done that job... so don't know. Did you get a new chain tensioner?

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger wrote: > Never done that job... so don't know. Did you get a new chain tensioner?

I believe it's just a slightly leaky gasket problem but SAE 10 oil has to be pressed into the tensioner and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to achieve that. I don't even understand why this is done.

The method suggested:

"Fill chain tensioner. For this purpose hold tensioner at thrust pin and dip into SAE 10 engine oil beyond flange. Slowly press thrust pin right home 7 to 10 times, using press or drill press.

Once the tensioner is full, a good deal of force must be needed to compress the pin. Moreover the pin must retract quite slowly and evenly."

I'll try to do this next week.

Welcome back again Tiger :-)

TIA

Reply to