"A" series cam chain tensioner

Hi,

I bought a timing chain kit for my 1957 948cc Minor Friday and went to fit it this afternoon, the two rubber tensioner rings which fit around the cam sprocket seem alot smaller than the ones that I took off, they can be forced on but are at least a half inch smaller diameter in there free state than the ones I took off. Is this because the old ones have stretched or are there 2 sizes of cam sprocket?

Thanks, before I make a t*** of myself returning the kit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve M

There's only one size of sprocket, and yes the old ones have stretched.

In case you're interested, those 'rubber' rings are not particularly efficient at tensioning the timing chain even when new. It's what gives a MM engine it's distinctive sound. :-)

If you're not worried about originality, a way to make it even quieter is to fit a Marina front engine plate and timing chain cover, which has a proper chain tensioner. To make the engine even quieter, fit a Viscostatic fan off an old Viva. Goes straight on the end of the pump, and can be retained by tapping the pump shaft and fitting a 5/16, or 8mm bolt and washer with Loctite. I've done both these mods on my wifes '57 convertible, and it does make it much more pleasant to drive. I've still got all the original parts, so they can easily be replaced if necessary. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G