Chrysler 300 C - How much of a Mercedes is it, and is that good or bad?

I have a 99 S 420. I saw the dark blue 300 C today in real life, and I like it. Reminds me of a poor man's (me) Rolls Royce. I'm wondering how much of it is based on Mercedes (I know the 5 link
independent suspension is), and if that is a good thing or bad thing, with all the current complaints about Mercedes reliability.
Lastly, assuming it is a nice car, and built equivalent to modern Mercedes, would you trade in a 99 S420 for one, or is that simply giving up prestige for a lesser vehicle?

car. It's nothing like the original 300.

pleasant surprise. Now, if that engine was in something that didn't remind my of the Zil limos that the Soviets rode around in, it would be great.
The Other Chris
hmmm - zil limos? Ya know there is a residence requirement for this here board - not sure where ya got ta live, but ifn ya drives a zil limo ....
mcbrue roflolly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
Based on previous generation E-Class platform, according to a review published in UK Sunday Times (quality Sunday paper) two days ago.
DAS

one pulled up behind me and I thought it was an ugly Bently..when it pulled up alog side me it was Ok, but I wonder how well bult a Chrysler can really be... I remeber back to my fathers convertible Sebring...it was poorly laid out, and fun (due to being a convertible) but very unispiring.
The 300c was very large bulbous, and square...
They might say it has a hemi, but it's got a Caddilac engine under the hood. Those V4/V8 switcharoo engines are horrible, reliability wise.
Stick with yer S420 and move up to a E320 CDI when you feel like something new.
-Mike

I'm sure the new engines that run on various numbers of cylinders at any given time are much more reliable than the version Cadillac had way back in '81. That's 24 model years ago. It's a good idea.
It has no caddy engine in it. The V-8-6-4's were ahead of their time, technologically. Nice idea, but the technology was not there. Today it is. Not a comparable situation.
An example, at the time of the V-8-6-4 engines NOBODY did variable valve timing. Nobody could. Today you get it in econo-boxes and it works very reliably. Technology does not stand still. The Hemi is not your father's Caddy.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."
The German's are having problems with quality of late principally with their electronic systems. They feel they must be state of the art in that regard, but they end up putting their customers on the bleeding edge of technology because their engineering and manufacturing (suppliers) are just not up to the task.
The traditional hardware they still do well. Consumer Report comments on this whole thing with the Germans in their latest issue.
Would I trade a Merc on a Chrysler? Especially a first year Chrysler. Well, if all you had to spend was under $40,000 and had to have "new", maybe. If I were willing to buy used, I would run (not walk) to a Lexus dealer and pick up a 2-3 year old lease turn-in GS or LS for the same money. I would get the best reliability on earth in the bargain, new or not new. And, if it was a GS430, it would be a fun car to drive, to boot.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."
GRL wrote:>

I thought the same way as you do until I logged on to alt.auto.lexus and started reading about the problems with the new transmissions in the new Lexus. They all exhibit a serious "lag" and "hesitation" problem at low speeds which is a very serious safety issue. As far as I can tell, Lexus is refusing to acknowledge the flaw in their transmissions and the customers are suffering the results of an ill-conceived, unresponsive, computerized transmission in their new cars. I would highly recommend that you research the Lexus before making the jump. Even Edmunds has rated the new ES-330 unsuitable because of the transmission problem. This problem is also being reported in the "2-3 year old" cars that you are recommending.

I'm not thinking about Lexus. I'm just surprised at how good the write-ups on the 300 C is, and at what appears to be a fairly affordable price for a new car.