cold start

Hi
Mercedes 300E diesel 1996. I am having occasional start problems from cold. It sounds like the engine is trying to turn over on a flat battery, but I
know the battery to be good. Once it is started it is fine for the rest of the day. I usually park in an underground car park, and do not have this problem, but parking outside is a real pain. My local garage mechanic thinks it may be an air leak into the fuel line via the filter, other than that, he doesn't know.
No pressure, but if you guys can help me today, I would be very grateful. I am taking my car back to the mechanic tonight and leaving it outside his workshop. The temperature will be about 3-5 degrees tonight so he should see the problem OK in the morning. Otherwise it is over to you for help.
Many thanks
Charlie Brown

I would start by dissassembling the battery connections and cleaning and reconnecting them. When you cold start the car actually need more juice to crank it. If the connections are sketchy, you might have the above issue. could also be a bad connection at the starter end. Could also be the battery or starter.
Marty
PS you aren't an orthopedic surgeon are you?
If the battery terminal clean up and tightening doesn't do it and you're not using Mobil1 then you should try it because it's viscosity remains low at low temps.
--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"Martin Joseph" < snipped-for-privacy@barknaturalpet.com> wrote in message
Forget an air leak into the fuel system for that would occur all the time - or at least every overnight shut down. Slow cranking by the starter is electrically, not fuel related.
Don't take the battery for granted - it may well be the problem. Otherwise the starter becomes the suspect.
Problem solved. The engine was cranking on three cylinders, 3 of the glow plugs were gone.
Charlie Brown